Sunday, August 15, 2010

Those killer 7 coursers...

Obviously, I must include a posting on Turkish cuisine.  We had a great many spectacular group dinners that included a ridiculous number of courses.  I had no idea what I was in for.  I consistently filled up on appetizers...only to realize that these small dishes were actually the precursors to the main meal. Dinner would often take hours to finish. So...I learned to pick my seat wisely. My neighbor must be someone who does not mind fielding my desperate pleas to help me finish my own plate. I am extremely picky when it comes to cheese, meat, and strange looking food. Since the waiters were so attentive and warm, I felt terrible leaving anything leftover or untouched.  I was often seized by anxiety attacks when yet another dish would materialize, and, consequentially, my neighbors bore the brunt of the responsibility for alleviating my fears.


And then there was Turkish khave!


This is the menu from the most historic coffeehouse in downtown Istanbul.  It is also a hookah bar, which enhanced its mystical charm.


The bottom of a cup of Turkish coffee is absolutely disgusting sludge. It tastes like sand. One should avoid drinking this at all costs.  The liquid itself tastes very earthy and thick.


Apple Tea! Basically apple cider, except much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment