Saturday, June 19, 2010

Wandering Surprises

These past couple of days have been free days, and in that free time I have been wandering the corners of the city. For the amount of time I have walked around, I have seen an great amount. Usually by accident, though, so I do not know the historical importance and gravity of what I've seen, but I am impressed nonetheless. Beauty is literally everywhere, and every building and corner is unique. You just have to concentrate on a building for a little while, pick it apart with your eyes and you discover layers and layers of history... with a layer of graffiti bordering its base.

Here is a little taste...



...eating pizza bianca. I have a slightly disgusted look on my face, but that is just because I am trying to listen, eat, and take a picture at the same time. Apparently it takes a lot out of me. I am really thinking "wow, this is fantastic!"




Me in front of a water fountain. There are water fountains in just about every square, and tucked into odd little corners.



A street shrine to the madonna-- these are also prolific throughout Rome.



This is the Ponte Sisto over the Tiber River. There is a night market alongside the Tiber River that opens as soon as it is dark. It's a little carnivalesque, and geared towards tourists, but fun nonetheless.



This is the rooftop view from the Rome Center (not my room, from my room all I see is a water heater).



This morning I tried to go to Piazza Novana. Instead I found the Italian National Museum (which literally stopped me in my tracks from sheer awesomeness), a dozen magnificent churches, and this elephant obelisk!



This is what sheer awesomness looks like. See the tiny people?




This was taken on a bridge over the Tiber river. Couples put locks on the bridge's facades for good luck... to symbolize their eternal love.



This is what clothing shops in the campo look like. Erin, I took this picture just for you... so drink it in.

Right now an anti-religion rally is going on in the Campo de Fiori around the statute of Giordano Bruno. It's noisy, and I wish I understood Italian, but I am going to go watch! Buona sera!

6 comments:

  1. Thanx Katie, there are actually some cute stuff.... you do know that i am STILL waiting for you to email me back :( you should just make my day today and email. plus we need to talk on skype!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics katie....keep'em coming. How are you doing with the language...are you able to communicate well? How do the locals look upon/treat you as a tourist?....hopefully good! It looks like the weather over there has been great as well! Take care/Stay safe! Love, MomnDad

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is the food? was the pizza thing (shown above) just bread? cuz thats what it looks like. are the people friendly? are you burnt to a crisp from the sun?(jk) what is your fav thing so far? (if any)Is it like super busy because of summer and all the tourists?have you seen the coliseum yet?Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right about the museum! Talk about sheer awesomeness... Hope you're having a good time!
    Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie!!!! how is rome? what is your favorite thing to do? keep sending pics of rome I like looking at them. is the place you are staying busy? the pizza thing looked like cheese and bread, what was on that thing? Kali is excited for her birthday tommorow wait ....... are tomorow is your today right now?!?! bye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buenas noches to you! It's morning here. Hope you are a having a fantastically awesome time touring Rome... Take lots of pictures for us! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete